Rotaractors and Aspiring Rotaractors,
If you weren’t able to make it to our first meeting on Tuesday, January 8th, no worries. Here’s what you missed:
- Change for Change. We decided to start bringing a money jar for small bills and loose change. We’ll pass it around each week to get service project ideas, find out what changes you’re seeing in the community, or put you on the spot for a classic movie line. (You never know…) We’ll use that money to donate to an organization of our choosing once we fill it up or we’ll add it to our funds to assuage travel expenses down the road. Tuesday’s Change for Change brought many ideas for future service project locations including the Women’s Fund, Plan International, Self-Sufficiency Project, Habitat for Humanity, the local animal shelter and the Salvation Army.
- Battle on Bago raffle tickets. Rotaract Oshkosh has the opportunity to earn a good deal of money through the sale of Battle on Bago tickets. We have packs of 5 for $20. Dan Snyder, our treasurer, is keeping track of them and Bethany, our president, has an extra stash of them, too. This is a great opportunity to raise some money for Rotaract, so if you know any fishermen, give us a shout at [email protected]. Check out battleonbago.com for information on the actual event including raffle prizes – winners don’t have to be present to win and there are great prizes for fishermen, non-fishermen, and out-of-state folk, too.
- Membership. If you’d like to be a Rotaractor, we ask that you commit to at least one meeting or one service project each month.
- Fees. As a Rotaractor, there’s a small yearly fee attached: $50. It will be used to offset food expenses at monthly meetings and go towards general fundraising.
- Run, run, run. There are some pretty cool running events coming up, events we can volunteer at or run in—it’s up to you. We think it would be pretty awesome to do a run or two each month as another way of giving back. There are a number of area races coming up, all of which you can check out and sign up to run in on our Facebook group: Rotaract Oshkosh.
- Christine Ann Center. We’re exploring an ongoing partnership with the Christine Ann Center in Oshkosh, a domestic abuse organization located in downtown Oshkosh. With that comes numerous opportunities to volunteer.
- In the toy room. We’d like to adopt the toy room. That means 2-3 of us going to the toy room to organize it and clean up a little bit on a monthly rotation.
- During playtime. Twice weekly, resident children come to the playroom for 90 minutes of playtime. That’s where volunteers are needed. Playtime happens twice weekly from 5:45 to 7:15 pm on Monday and Thursday nights. However, a volunteer orientation is needed first, so if you’d like to sign up for in, email us at the above address so we can coordinate a group orientation,
- February service project. We’ll be returning to the Christine Ann Center in February to do some more volunteer work and perhaps impart some resume and interview skills to some of the residents. Potential dates so far are Saturday, February 2nd and Saturday February 15th. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for more information.
- Trivia. You also missed a pretty amazing round of trivia. But! Luckily, you can catch the next one Tuesday, 5 February at 6 pm at the Algoma Club in Oshkosh.
Sending good thoughts,
Bethany & Becky