Written by Rotaract Oshkosh member Joseph Mann
Hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful “spring” weather in Wisconsin! Anyways, we had our fourth meeting at the beginning of April. (Another good turnout – thank you!). If you missed our April meeting, here’s what happened:
Pledge: We started our April meeting how we start every meeting, with the pledge. We now have an American flag that has been donated to us! (Yes!) Then, after a fun game of baseball trivia, with a few curveballs, we got right down to business.
Housekeeping: Part of being an official member of Rotaract includes an annual financial commitment of $50.00. When you are a paid member, you will receive a Rotaract t-shirt, pin, and will be able to have an online profile on our site (How cool is that?) So, for those looking to become a paid member, please contact Dan Snyder. For those who have paid and want to have an online profile, please contact Bethany Lerch.
April Volunteer Activities:
- Food Pantry, April 1 – Volunteer in good company in another round of stocking food and organizing donations for the pantry. Next tentative date is Monday, May 6 from 5PM-7PM at the Oshkosh Area Community Pantry.
- Blood Drive, April 8-12 – The Community Blood Center has picked Rotaract Oshkosh as their organization of the week! During the week of April 8-12, the Community Blood Center will feature us in their media and has asked that, in return, we donate blood. If you did not have a chance to donate during our week, feel free to call and make an appointment at any time.
- Propel-Discover Mercy, April 17 – Propel Oshkosh has extended an invitation to Rotaract members to attend the Discover Mercy seminar at Affinity Mercy Medical Center on April 17. It is free and includes a tour of the new robotic surgery suite, cancer center, and fitness for the physically challenged and P.E.A.C.E Program. After the tour, meet with hospital leaders and enjoy a social with cheese, sausage, fruit trays and wine, beer, soda, and water. RSVP is required by calling 920-223-0522.
- Earth Day, April 20 – Join Rotaract Oshkosh and Habitat for Humanity on Earth Day to help plant garden boxes and beautify Oshkosh. Just for volunteering, you receive a free t-shirt and free lunch (Glass Nickel, Roxy…). Volunteering is from 12 p.m. – 4 p.m. (Lunch at noon). Meet at 100 North Main Street (Bethany’s apartment) at 11:45 and we will head over together.
- Half Marathon, April 20 – The Christine Ann Center is looking for volunteers to help with the kids run the weekend of the Oshkosh Half Marathon. Volunteers are needed on Saturday, April 20 (day before the actual Half Marathon) for the following time slots:
If you are not able to attend the Habitat for Humanity Earth Day project, or would like to volunteer in the morning as well, please join this event on Facebook or email us at our GMail account to coordinate. (So far, just Bethany will be going in the morning for the Christine Ann and is looking for friends!)
Upcoming Running Opportunities
- Oshkosh 5K and Half Marathon, April 21 – We have a couple members running around Oshkosh on Sunday, April 21. Michelle Dei and Taylor Cook are running the half marathon while Bethany is running the 5k (and finishing the Half with Michelle!) For those interested in half price registration, please contact Becky Snyder. Not busy that morning? Come out to support the Rotaract runners!
Chartering Ceremony: Tuesday, April 30, Algoma Club
- 6:00PM – Cocktails and social hour
- 6:30PM – Presentation
- For more information, see either our blog post or our Facebook event!
PRESENTATION: Speaker 1, Lisa Koeppen
Lisa Koeppen, from the Community Blood Center did a wonderful presentation on the importance of donating blood. The community blood center provides for many hospitals throughout Wisconsin. Lisa taught us about the four different components of blood that can be used to save lives. We were also informed of incorrect assumptions that many people have about donating. She discussed the importance donating regularly, so that in the case of a disaster, there will be a supply of blood available BEFORE something happens. The Community Blood Center has picked Rotaract Oshkosh as their organization of the week! During the week of April 8-12, the Community Blood Center will feature Rotaract Oshkosh in their media and has asked that, in return, we donate blood.
PRESENTATION: Speaker 2, Keri Ewing
Keri Ewing from (1) Habitat for Humanity and (2) D.R.E.A.M House Orphanage talked to us about the D.R.E.A.M. house project in Thailand. It is a home for both orphans and impoverished children in the northwest region of Thailand along the Burmese border. They protect helpless children from human traffickers. They strive to provide these children with everything they need, and then some. It is more than just a shelter with food and security; they give each child an opportunity for an education as well as cultivating all aspects of the child’s life. Keri also talked about the volunteer opportunity on April 20, through Habitat for Humanity. Please see the details in the upcoming events!
The next meeting: May’s meeting will take place on Tuesday, May 7, at 6pm at the Algoma Club, 103 Algoma Blvd, in downtown Oshkosh. However, don’t forget to join us on Tuesday, April 30, at 6pm for our Chartering Ceremony! As always, there will be some delicious food for everyone from Manila!